Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Granola Bites





The last few weeks I have been perfecting a recipe for homemade granola bars. My fiancĂ© and I love granola bars (although I think he likes them more than I do) and they make a good mid-work-day snack. We wanted to make our own because it is healthier. We can control what goes in to in. No preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. Another added plus, they cost less. I'm not sure by how much, we haven't done the math, but it is definitively cheaper. 


This recipe is somewhat reminiscent of a no-bake cookie in that no baking is actually involved. What I like about this recipe is that it is super easy to customize and change things around. I feel like nearly any ingredient can be interchanged with another. 


Here is the basic recipe:
-2 cups oats
-1/2 cup peanut butter
-1/2 cup honey
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-Optional ingredients: nuts, dried fruit, a tablespoon of Nutella, sunflower seeds...you can add just about anything that you think will taste yummy! 




In a saucepan over low heat, combine the peanut butter, honey and vanilla until the mixture has a nice creamy consistency and everything is well mixed. Take off of the heat and stir in the oats and any of the optional ingredients. If you decide to use Nutella, add it to the sauce pan when everything is being heated. Once everything is stirred in, press into mini muffin cups and let cool. 


The recipe as it is above makes for a moister granola bite than I prefer, but it is how my fiancĂ© enjoys them. If I were making them for just me I would reduce the amount of either peanut butter or honey to 1/4 cup, depending on what I want the predominate flavor to be. Or I reduce both of them. If it is made too dry, however, all the ingredients won't stick together once removed from the mini muffin cups. 


Sometimes, instead of two cups of oats, I use one cup and add in a cup of shredded wheat as well. It gives it a crunchier texture. Make sure to break up the shredded wheat into small bits. I use a blender to do this (because I don't have a food processor).

You can also spread the mixture onto a baking sheet so it is shaped more like a granola bar, whatever your personal preference is. It works both ways. We prefer to use the muffin cup shape because it is easier to portion.

\
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe. :)
Hey! Who took a bite out of my granola bite?!?! Oh wait, I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment