Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Water Color Silhouettes





As promised, this is not another post about upcycling tin cans! Hooray! Today, I want to show how to make a water color silhouette. It is easy, and doesn't require a whole lot of artistic talent - so don't worry if you don't think you are an artist, you can do this!

For this activity you will need:
-Watercolor paints
-Paintbrush
-Watercolor paper or any sort of heavier weight paper
-masking or painters tape
-cardboard bigger than your paper

My lovely family on the East coast gave me a graduation gift when they visited this past month, and I used some of that money to buy myself a nice watercolor set. For quite some time I have wanted to buy some watercolor paints and I finally felt like I could do so without being frivolous. You don't need a fancy watercolor set to do this, though. Any set will do.

To start off, determine what you want your silhouette to be. I chose a seahorse and traced one onto scrap paper. You can also print something from your computer, use something from a magazine...there are a lot of possibilities.



Cut out your shape, trying to keep as much detail as possible.


Next, trace the shape onto your heavyweight paper using a pencil. You will want your pencil lines to be very light. You can always go back and erase them if to lighten up your lines if you made them too dark. With the tape, secure your paper to the carboard. Sometimes the tape can tear the paper when you pull it back off, so I recommend first putting the tape on something fuzzy - like your shirt - then use it to make the border.




Next, with your paintbrush and some water, get the paper a little bit wet everywhere except inside the silhouette. Next, start painting!


I used blue, green, and purple and varied the intensity of the shade through how much water I also used. After everything was filled in, I went over everything with a layer of blue paint. But that was my personal preference.


Have fun painting! This one we hung up in the bathroom. I think I'm going to paint another one - this time a dolphin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment