Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hand-Dyed Cupcake Liners

I love cupcake liners. I love those little pieces of cup shaped paper because they are fun and somehow adorable. It's easy to use them to incorporate a theme into your baking. I love to buy them in all sorts of different colors and patterns. Usually, I just end up going for the same-old package of pastels because they cost the least.

I had a stack of liners that have been in the pantry for awhile. They had been ignored and overlooked in favor of my stash of more exciting polka-dot liners, or more vibrant colors. I also have some dinosaurs cupcake liners and cupcake toppers that I am saving for the right occasion. I've held on to them for well over a year now because the time was never right for dinosaur cupcakes....maybe one day soon.

Anyway, I decided that it was time to give my basic pastel cupcake liners a little love.

This project was really easy. All you need are cupcake liners that need a little excitement in their lives, food coloring, water, a bowl for each color you want to use, and somewhere to place the cupcake liners when they dry. I spread out a few sheets of paper towels to put mine on.

In each bowl, I put 3 tablespoons of water, and about 6 drops of food coloring. Then, I dipped the top of the cupcake liners in the bowl until I thought they had absorbed enough. I left them bottom-side up on a paper towel to dry.


The pink and the blue liners keep photographing as white liners...but I assure you they are pink and blue. The yellow is still very obviously yellow.  
These are giving me the urge to bake right now! But since this is Indiana in the middle of a drought, and  it has been in the 90's nearly every day since...forever, I think I'll hold off on baking in the apartment. 
Steve, one of my kitties, was interested in what I was doing. He kept trying to take a peek to see what was going on.  While the cupcake liners were drying he actually hopped onto the counter (which is a forbidden space for the cats) to try and check them out. 

Next time I have white cupcake liners, I could do all sorts of colors! This time I stuck with pink, blue, and yellow - the same color as my liners.
Steve, it's nothing tasty that you can try and beg for! Just paper and water!

No comments:

Post a Comment