Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Make your own envelopes!


As kids, my little sister and I loved to play "Mail." We would construct mailboxes for ourselves and then we would write little notes to each other on small pieces of paper. We would fold up these little notes and then put them into little envelopes we made. I wish I had pictures of these because I'm sure they were pretty cute. We had a designated post office, and periodically one of us would act as the mail carrier and deliver the mail to the correct person.

I hadn't thought about that game in years, and the memories of it make me smile. With that in mind, I thought I would once again try my hand at making envelopes and mailing a letter to my favorite little sister. Don't worry, I only have one little sister (although she is taller than me now...does that make ME the "little" sister?!?)

 For this project you need scrapbook paper, an envelope to use as a template, scissors, and a glue stick. I decided to pick a variety of pink scrapbook paper for my first round of envelope making. 

The first step is to unfold your envelope. My envelope did rip a little bit as I pulled where the envelope had been glued together, however, that did not affect anything.
The next step is to trace the unfolded envelope, which is now your template, on the back side of the scrapbook paper. I then cut through the stack of paper all at once. When you complete this step you will have a small pile of weirdly shaped pieces of paper...

All that is left to do is fold and glue!

If using patterned paper, be aware of which way it is facing before you cut it...the other envelopes turned out fine, but I did not intend for the hearts to be upside-down and diagonal...silly me!
These were so easy and fun to make I actually made several more...Now to figure out what to do with all of these envelopes! 




No comments:

Post a Comment