Thursday, July 12, 2012

Melted Crayon Painting

The melted crayon paintings have been all over Pinterest for quite some time. I actually made this way back in January. I knew I wanted to do a melted crayon painting, but I wanted it to be something more fun and personal. This was supposed to be a birthday present for my fiancĂ©, but I was so excited about it he ended up getting it super early. 

To make one of these, you need a box of crayons, craft glue, a canvas, wax paper, masking or painters tape, a hair dryer and some newspaper to protect the surrounding area (the crayon tends to splatter). 

Glue the crayons to the top of the canvas in whatever order and color combination you prefer. Make sure that the tips of the crayons are pointing down. While the glue was drying, I got on the computer and played with different fonts until I found one I liked. I printed it on regular printer paper. It took me two tries to get everything sized correctly. 

I got out the wax paper, and traced the letters onto the wax paper. Then, I took masking tape and taped over the letters. I flipped the taped over wax paper over, so I could see the letters I had traced, and cut them out. Then I pulled the wax paper off of the tape, and stuck the tape in the shape of the letters onto the canvas.

By this time, the glue was dry. I propped the canvas against the wall, with newspaper behind and underneath the canvas to catch all the the splattered drops of melted crayons wax. I turned on my hair dryer and watched as the crayons melted and dripped down the canvas. It was a lot of fun to watch. Once I was sure the crayon wax had dried, I carefully peeled off the tape, I did have a little accident with the "T," but otherwise it was perfect! With a little bit of white paint the edges were neatened up. The letters seem to pop right off the canvas. 


This is before it was touched up with the white paint. Maybe if I had used painters tape instead of masking tape the paint wouldn't have been necessary, but I used what was on hand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment